My name is Peeta. I am a prisoner of the capitol. My goal is to keep Katniss Everdeen
alive but, as the cold of the stone under my body creeps through my skin, into my soul, I feel all the hope and happiness in my barely beating heart deteriorate into the ceaseless darkness that has me in a choke hold and no intention on letting go until every shred of light has been ripped from me and I am an empty shell, a blank canvas, for the capitol to mold to their liking. I am in the worse stage of the hunger games and I know things can only become more painful as I hear heavy footfalls in the distant... heading in my direction.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Blood on the tiles (Chapter nine)

"Come with me," I raise my eyes to see President Snow standing above me, "now"
He turns on his heel and walks out my cell door. I scramble to my feet with a moan of pain and scamper after him. We reach the interview stadium, where I was a couple days ago.
Four days to be exact.
'Pardon?'
Four days without food, water or sunlight.
President Snow points to an elevated stool in front of a map. He leans in close to my face.
"Listen boy, get this right and the mutt can die alright?"
"Katniss?"
"Yes Katniss, Peeta." His face contorts into a smile, "We'll blow her sky high."
 A few stylist flock around me and decorate my face. They are shooed of stage just as the cameras begin to roll. My leg starts to tap as I point out places of damage on the map. I feel my blood pulse and rage fill me as the voice inside my head whispers in my ear.
This is all Katniss's fault. Peeta, she is doing this to you. She is making them hurt you. Its all her fault. She's a beast. She's a mutt.
Mutt
Mutt
Mutt
Suddenly President Snow's words hit me. They'll blow her sky high?
'They are going to kill her!'
Good riddance
"Any parting thoughts for Katniss Everdeen." President Snow looks at me with warning eyes.
I can feel my face twist with anger and slight insanity, "Katniss... how do you think this will end?" I try my hardest to maintain composure as I speak, but its obvious I am failing, "And you... in Thirteen," I take in a sharp breath as my lungs burn with invisible water, "Dead by morning!"
That was a mistake.
Before I have time to take in my words, I hear President Snow shout to end the broadcast. I try to speak again  to tell her to run and hide, but a security guard knocks the camera to the floor. I know what's coming next. I hear someone running behind me and feel a crushing blow to my head. Black starts to fill my line of sight, but just before I give way to it, I see the white tiles stained with my blood.
'I will kill Katniss. It is my mission.'
Good boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment