My name is Peeta. I am a prisoner of the capitol. My goal is to keep Katniss Everdeen
alive but, as the cold of the stone under my body creeps through my skin, into my soul, I feel all the hope and happiness in my barely beating heart deteriorate into the ceaseless darkness that has me in a choke hold and no intention on letting go until every shred of light has been ripped from me and I am an empty shell, a blank canvas, for the capitol to mold to their liking. I am in the worse stage of the hunger games and I know things can only become more painful as I hear heavy footfalls in the distant... heading in my direction.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Pain (Chapter eight)

I am on the platform of the my second games. How I am supposed to get out? I am surrounded by water? I see Finnick swimming towards me and I let out a sigh of relief that was only to be replaced by a sharp intake of breath. Finnick was coming to my rescue, but could I trust him to save me? Once I hit that water I am one hundred percent dependent on Finnick. He could drown me as easily as Katniss shot her prey.. Despite my doubts of his real intentions, when he comes to my platform, I latch onto him like a scared child. I feel like a man in control of a boat as I float through the water with ease. A small smile graces my lips only to soon fade before beings seen as pangs of regret shot through me for ever doubting Finnick.
My heart flutters when I see Katniss swimming with ease, her hair laced with golden sparkles. When did she get those? I shake my head and pull my attention by to the water. It's surprisingly warm and without a current. A current, that's what it's called right? A small bead of sweat forms on my forehead as the images of how people in District 12 described sea beasts flash in my head. I wish I had a canvas here.
Katniss had somehow reaches us in a matter of seconds and a her lips form a smile as she puts both hands on either side of my face. She pulls me closer until our faces are only a inch apart. Why was she doing this? Oh right the cameras.
She presses her lips to mine in a light kiss before she pulls me under the water, her mermaid tail pulling me deeper into salty, wet darkness until I can no longer hold my precious life in. I gasp in an effort to seize the burning in my lungs, but instead of perfect capitol air, I am met with only water.
I feel my life slipping away when the first electric shock hits my body like a ton of bricks.
I desperately try to scream  but only gang on the ocean water. Another shock hits me and I let out another silent scream.
Katniss swims up so that her face is once again only inches from mine and laughs as the electric currents rock my body.
I know I must be dead right now, or at least unconscious, but Katniss keeps me up with her laughter. It still pierces my ears even with no air to let the sound travel.
Suddenly, the laughter stop and Katniss looks at me with careful eyes. Another smile forms on her lips when she bites down on my neck.
*************************************************************************************************************
I wake from my haunting memories and rise with a wince. I see burns from where the electrocution hit me hardest and I can still feel my lungs burn.
"They put you in water and electrocute you. Kinda refreshing isn't it?"
I turn and see Johanna sitting in the corner opposite of me. Her body frail and covered with burns, she still holds an aura of strength. They haven't broken her yet.
"Johanna"
"I know my name, Peeta." She rises with much difficulty and wobbles towards me.
Once she reaches me, she collapse on the ground and just looks at me. I don't bother to smile, because this isn't a happy moment.
"I heard the guards talking. You are going to be interviewed by Caesar Flickerman today so I'd start preparing... mentally."
"They aren't going to make me over?"
Johanna snorted, "Yeah right, honey, that was a one time thing. This time you are going on air all natural."
I was going to retort, but a pair of guards pulled my from what I guess was Johanna's cell. I am pulled through the same corridors and hallways as before, but I do not enter the mirror room. I am pulled right into the interview stadium and pushed into the overly-stuff chair that I have sat in three times prior. Caesar sits before me, but he doesn't offer an smile, he doesn't even meet my gaze.
"Five, four, three," The voice of an unknown man calls out and I raise my head to try to meet Caesar's eyes, "two, one."
"Hello Peeta," Caesar finally looks up, but everything about him is fake.
Caesar tells me about the rumors of Katniss's rebel tapes and throughout it all, I feel pangs of hate, sadness, and love.
"They're using her, obviously," I say trying to keep the pain out of my voice, ""To whip up the rebels. I doubt she even really knows what's going on in the war. What's at stake."
We continue to talk, to make Katniss feel guilty. I try my hardest to give the capitol what they want. I feel numb to the thought of what Katniss would want, I just want the pain to stop.
The interview ends and I am lead back into my cell, where the pain continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment