My name is Peeta. I am a prisoner of the capitol. My goal is to keep Katniss Everdeen
alive but, as the cold of the stone under my body creeps through my skin, into my soul, I feel all the hope and happiness in my barely beating heart deteriorate into the ceaseless darkness that has me in a choke hold and no intention on letting go until every shred of light has been ripped from me and I am an empty shell, a blank canvas, for the capitol to mold to their liking. I am in the worse stage of the hunger games and I know things can only become more painful as I hear heavy footfalls in the distant... heading in my direction.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Did you love me? (16-18)

The restraints that held my arms to the bed are starting to feel like a peice of clothing. I know the tube in my arm is to knock me out if I lost control, but I'm not foolish enough to try and attack her when I am pinned down. Right now, the voice says my goal is to make her angry. I need to make her hate me.
Exactly Peeta. Make her boil over with rage.
'I still don't understand why I need to'
So that everyone sees her like we do. So that they know the true Katniss.
I hear a small creak and my eyes dart up to find Katniss slowly approching me.
'She doesn't look evil...'
Don't let her trick you, Peeta.
She standing about a yard away and has her arms crossed protectevily over her mid-section.
She's scared.
'Because you made me choke her.'
I didn't make you do anything.
"Hey." Her voice is the same as I remember and something moves in my heart.
'I miss her'
She tried to kill you, Peeta.
The nightmares flash back into my mind. Those horrible memories from the arena where she tried to kill me so many times. The part of my heart that had warmed by her voice slowly goes cold again, but I know I must reply.
"Hey." I try to keep my voice at a calm level. I must make her mad. This is my only chance
"Haymitch said you wanted to talk to me."
I know what she wants from me. An annocment of my love. An apology for branding her with the title Mutt, but that's not what she's gonna get.
"Look at you for starters."
'She's beautiful.'
Under that desguise is a dirty mutt, Peeta. Remember that.
"You're not very big, are you?"
Or pretty, Peeta. Look at her. Disgusting.
"Or particularly pretty?"
Perfect.
I can see anger in her eyes. Despite my situation, she gets mad like a littly baby. I know that I've hurt her and I feel pride swell up in my chest. Seeing her eyes narrow and her lips purse makes the two points on my neck tingle with excitment.
She takes a breath." Well, you've looked better."
I can't help, but laugh. "And not even remotly nice. To say that to me after all I've been through." My voice starts to turn into a growl and I can feel my body's longing to break out of the retrainst.
'All I want to do is take a swing at those pretty eyes of hers.'
Pretty?
I freeze. 'No... not pretty... ugly and mutt-like.'
Better.
"Yeah. We've all been through a lot. And you're the one who was known for being nice. Not me."
I can feel a smile play on my lips. Perfect. I have right where I want her. She expected a happy reunion and now she's been blindsided by the new me.
The better you.
'The better me.'
"Look, I don't feel well."
Check mate.
"Maybe I'll drop by tommorrow."
Katniss turns and slowly approches the door.
Defeated by the boy with the bread.
'The boy with the bread?'
Suddeny the two points on my neck stop tingling and all I want to do is call out to Katniss. But what to say? I've made her angry. The boy with the bread? The bread! I wiggly slightly in my restraints and lock my eyes on Kaniss.
"Katniss. I remember about the bread."
I feel as if my body is being ripped in two as I recall the bread. One side of me wants to break from the bed and hug Katniss as if I was dying, but the other side wants to break from the bed and strangle her until the last bit of her pathetic life has gone below. I can feel the love that I had for her returning, until she doesn't awnser my question.
"And did you love me?" I ask as I feel tears in my eyes.
Her eyes dart up at me quickly and then resume there postion pointed towards the tile. "Everyone says I did.Everyone says that's why Snow had you tortured. To break me."
"That;s not ann awnser."
I give up then. She's lost her chance and I allow the tingle in my neck to return along with the voice.
Good Peeta. Don't worry now, Darling. You'll have a chance to kill her soon.
I fight beck another smile as Katniss explains herself and her actions in the arena.
 'Good.'

No comments:

Post a Comment