My name is Peeta. I am a prisoner of the capitol. My goal is to keep Katniss Everdeen
alive but, as the cold of the stone under my body creeps through my skin, into my soul, I feel all the hope and happiness in my barely beating heart deteriorate into the ceaseless darkness that has me in a choke hold and no intention on letting go until every shred of light has been ripped from me and I am an empty shell, a blank canvas, for the capitol to mold to their liking. I am in the worse stage of the hunger games and I know things can only become more painful as I hear heavy footfalls in the distant... heading in my direction.

Monday, August 1, 2011

The Mission (Chapter six)

I open my eyes and a feel the small amount of food I've eaten over the days in my cell burn my esophagous as it retracts up my throat. The arena, I am in the arena. I remember it as if I lay still injured in the cave with Katniss. Katniss! I look around despritatly and see her observing the arena with careful eyes.
Her eyes catch mine and she notions towards the golden cornacopia before us. I shake my head. I want to scream no. I want to run off my plateform, but I know that being so foolish would be the end of me so I only give one more stern shake of my head before the gong sounds and the small glitering balls rise from the grassy arena floor.
I expect her to run towards the woods but instead she runs towards the cornacopia. She grabs a knife and impales the youngest child in the game without a moment of hesitation. Burgendy blood drips over his body, which was well under five feet.
Katniss turns towards me and her sharp teeth are revealed in a wolfy grin. She extends her thumb and pointer finger, narrows her eyes, a pulls an imaginary trigger, and sends a metaphorical bullet through my heart.
**********************************************************************************
Sweat cements hair to my forehead when I wake with a scream.
'Another dream'
Another memory
The voice in my head has spoken to me often lately
'P- Pardon'
Peeta, have you not relized?
'Relized what exactly?'
Those aren't dreams Peeta. Those are memories. All the events you see and will see are real. Realer than you can ever fear. What Katniss said was true; she is a mutt of the capitol and you are the only one who can stop her from killing all the people of the districts.
'And how do you expect me to do that,' I sneer.
You will see Katniss soon and when you do... you must kill her.
 I can't help but shout,  "I can't do that! I love her!"
The voice in my head lets out a dark chuckle.
You will kill her Peeta. It is your mission.
Words come out of my mouth without my consent or control and they leave my body shaking until the world goes dark agian.
"I will kill Katniss. It is my mission."

No comments:

Post a Comment